Who is Going to Save Our Church?
With all the talk, criticism and craziness surrounding Fr. John Corapi, it got me thinking about priests in general.
My husband and I have had our differences with priests.  I try to respect the collar (even though I might not respect the man).  However, I'm not going to sit and listen to that priest give a homily anymore.  Especially if that priest has lied to me.  And yes, I have been lied to.
It always amazes me when a pastor, who runs amok and chases people from their parish, remains a pastor.  I have witnessed pastors who have closed schools, offended parishioners and reduced the parish to a ghost town continue to be pastors!  The community is left with the skeletal remains of what was once a vibrant parish and the so-called pastor skips to his new post without looking back!
Why on earth would any archdiocese allow those men to ever be pastor again?  If a pastor has to close a school or cannot get the parishioners to, at minimum, support the parish financially, they should not be allowed to be pastor again.
I saw a quote not too long ago by Archbishop Fulton Sheen:
"Who is going to save our Church?  Not our Bishops, not our priests and religious.  It is up to the people.  You have the minds, the eyes, the ears to save the Church.  Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops like bishops and your religious act like religious."
It is up to us, isn't it?  We have to do our part.  We have to support the many good priests who are doing what God has called them to do.  And we have to be vigilant when it comes to those that use their collar as a power trip when they know there are no consequences to their actions.